awkward confessions  

Posted by the lamplighter

It doesn't help that I earn a little more than most people my age.

My bank accounts aren't too shabby as well. But there is always this guilty feeling looming ever so ominously whenever I try to make a really extravagant purchase. And honestly, I don't feel like I've really made too much of those.

Recently I got stumped by a sizeable amount in credit card debt. I almost did not see it coming. I made a few harmless purchases for a couple of innocently affordable tops, a few routine grocery items, and opted to swipe the card thinking I might rather need the cash later in the day. And I actually considered myself a generally smart buyer.

It's cruelly amazing how these things become habit when you're not watching your back, right?

I managed to reduce it by over half the amount in a month (I got an unexpected bonus) and I was really pleased with myself. I'm also in a very comfortable earning scheme and I expect it to stay like this for at least a couple more months before I head on to more meaningful albeit less lucrative venture - teaching.

I certainly don't live a life of luxury. To be honest, I can settle for an even simpler life. Sure, I find some of the "comforts" that I have now a bit necessary but it does not mean that I cannot do away with them. Currently, I have a laptop, an ipod, tons of books, dvds and magazines. Oh and a huge pile of clothes. Not too many shoes though.

I got a bit shifty when I realized how much I owe. I read Kinsella's Confessions of a Shopaholic on a whim and before I realized it, I find myself inconveniently relating to the lead character's money problems. I guess the main difference between us is I only have one measly credit card and my debit cards aren't exactly in overdraft.

And to think that I seldom splurge on clothes. Truthfully, I can even get a bit stingy when it comes to buying for myself. But when I get truly enthused, I guess I can get carried away.

Thus far, I have a dozen jackets and only wear around five. I have at least five pair of pants that I've only worn once or twice and decided they don't really suit me. And around five dresses that I'm really sure that I'd not be caught wearing in the next 15 years!

And that's just my wardrobe.

I think it's time to reassess my assets - maybe consider some of them as more of liabilities really.

This entry was posted on Wednesday, February 03, 2010 and is filed under . You can leave a response and follow any responses to this entry through the Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom) .

0 comments