banking in purgatory  

Posted by the lamplighter

I quivered beneath my side swept bangs at the sight of the people inside a local bank. I went there to encash a check I'd been waiting for in a while. As I sat in the room waiting for my number (97) to be called (they were servicing 69 as of that moment) it dawned on me that I made a perfectly idiotic thing. I followed the suggestion made by the nice finance officer from where I got my check - do the transaction in the bank nearer to their office.

Note to self: Never trust anybody to be completely decent from the job you left because you were disgusted by its policies.

I instantly realized what another ginormous mistake I made when I left my Ipod at home. I was going for a "peace and quiet alone time" and what I saw ahead of me was a parade of unwanted overheard conversations and icky sounds from men trying to clear their sinuses - specifically the guy sitting right beside me.

Note to guys: It would always be wiser to declog unwanted and disgusting nasal fragments before leaving one's house.

Sitting in front of me were a lesbian couple who tried to pass time by listening to music in their cellphones. It reminded me of my ancient Nokia I had in my pocket. It did not occur to me to buy one of those mp3-capable phones because I have a perfectly usable Ipod which was conveniently sitting on my top drawer.

I was massively contemplating suicide when a girl had seemingly cut in line and went ahead to ask the teller something. I did not see this offensive at all until the old woman behind me chattered (and quite loudly for a lot of us to hear, too) about how people get ahead and muttered some more about how red tape ruins it for everybody. The man sitting beside me provided effective sound effects by exercising his nasal passageways. He might be regretting not blowing his nose before leaving his house.

Two college students sitting behind me were talking about their classes. The guy was convincing the girl to skip her classes and watch a movie with him. The girl was clearly interested but conveyed that she was on the fence fearing she might fail her class. The guy assured her this won't happen just by missing one class, effectively teasing her with the movie he'd like them to see, The Proposal. I foamed in the mouth.

Note to girls: never go out with men who would ever skip a class to watch a film by Sandra Bullock and/or Ryan Reynolds.

The security guard asked us to put our cellphones away. I tucked my phone in my bag, had an out of body experience then lapsed into a coma.

This entry was posted on Friday, August 07, 2009 and is filed under , . You can leave a response and follow any responses to this entry through the Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom) .

1 comments

Ha ha. That's great banking for you!

Trust your instinct: Always bring your Ipod.

Maybe the college student thought the best way to get her to go with him is to propose, well, The Proposal.

Which is the more horrifying thought: that the guy thinks that, or that the girl agrees to see it?